Day 14 of 30
Warm Cabbage Salad
Adapted from Harumi's Japanese Kitchen by Harumi Kurihara
- 1/2 pound cabbage, cut into bite size
- 1/4 pound broccoli, cut florets into small pieces and thinly slice the steam
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 slice ginger, julienne
- Bonito flakes (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the cabbage and cook until tender but still slightly firm. Drain and rinse under cold running water for a minute. Squeeze excess water out of the cabbage. Set aside in a large bowl.
2. In a bowl mix the mirin, soy sauce, and ginger together. Pour the dressing on top of the cabbage and broccoli. Toss and let the cabbage and broccoli soak in the dressing for about 10 minutes.
3. Place in a mould lined with plastic wrap, gently squeeze the cabbage into the mould, and slowly unmould it. Sprinkle bonito flakes on top and serve as a side dish.