How to Prepare Deep Fried Wonton?
Fried wontons or fried pork dumplings are considered one of the most delicious and easiest dishes of China. The Chinese foods are varied by their locations as well as the beauty in each region’s cultures. Wontons were first made in Guangdong region of China, then spread widely to the whole nations and reached out to the world. This type of dumpling is easy and fun to make as well as brings a colorful and flavorful taste to your mouth from the first bite.
The fried wontons can’t be eaten perfectly without the sauce. There are several types of sauce that can be served with wontons, but the best one is the sweet and sour sauce. In some food courts, you can easily buy the sauce for fried wontons, but that kind of sauce would make your wontons become cloying and even hard to eat. With this homemade sauce, you can see the total differents within both products. That’s the reason why Chinese people still prefer making a sauce for themselves.
In this post, I will show you how to make wontons and how to fry them perfectly as well as the best way to make the sweet and sour sauce.
Preparing The Ingredients
To make wontons, you need to prepare these ingredients:
- Pork (minced)
- Barbecue pork
- Soy sauce
- Wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil
In order to make the sauce, we need:
- Brown sugar
With these ingredients, make sure that you can buy the freshest and most delicious ingredients since they will decide how good your wontons are going to be. After buying all the ingredients, let’s move on to the next step: making the wontons!
Make The Wontons
- Making the filling is quite easy since you just have to mix all the components together. The filling consists pork, soybean, cornflour, sugar and sesame oil. You can put all of them in a big bowl so as to mix steadily. However, don’t put too much sugar or oil inside the mixture or else the taste won’t be good anymore.
- Once you’ve created a good mixture, fill the bowl with cold water. Then use a wonton wrapper and lay it on the counter. Each wonton needs a half of teaspoon of stuffing. Put it in the middle of the wrapper and gently lift the edges of it. You need to be careful so as not to break the wrapper. After that, seal your wonton with a little water by pressing tightly to the edges to stick them together. Do the same with other wrappers until the mixture inside the bowl is used up.
- Before putting the wontons into frying pan, you need to pre – heat the oil. It would take you about 30 to 50 seconds to make the oil hot at about 180 degrees celsius. After checking the oil, it’s time to fry the wontons. Don’t worry if you haven’t done this before, it’s very easy. All you need to do is drop the wontons gently one by one into the frying pan. Remember to watch for the color of the wrappers. Normally, a wonton is fried well when the skin turns to golden brown, and it takes about 1 or 2 minutes. Remember to fry both sides so that the wrapper can be fried evenly and have the best color. Drain all the wontons by putting them on a plate with paper towels underneath to suck all the excessive oil out.
- Decorate the wontons with some herbs and eat them with sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy!
Note: If you don’t want to use the wonton right away, you can totally save it for later uses if you have a fridge in your kitchen. The wontons can be saved up to 4 weeks in cold and clean environment. All you need to do is using the frozen bag to cover up the plate of uncooked wontons. However, before using the frozen wontons, you should pull it out of the fridge and use the saucepan to boil it first in order to get rid of some bacteria before frying.
Make Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Use a bowl and pour sugar and vinegar together. Mix them well and leave it aside to prepare other ingredients.
- Use a saucepan to boil the tomatoes for at least 2 minutes. Then, move it to an ice water bowl and peel the skin of the tomatoes away while they are still cool. Cut them into trunks and leave them there.
- Pour out most of the oil after finish frying the wontons. The remaining amount of oil should be equivalent to a teaspoon. After that put the tomatoes and the chitterling inside and stir – fry for 2 minutes. Remember to get the heat to medium, not too high. The final step is stirring the brown sugar as well as the vinegar and cook until the mixture turns brown with sour and sweet taste. You can add other flavors such as pepper or chili if you want.
- Serve it as the additional part of deep – fried wontons dish.
In Chinese food culture, wontons are the cheap and easy – to – make dumplings for the citizens to enjoy anytime in the year. That’s why this food brings with it the beautiful features of Chinese cuisines as well as other interesting flavors from the East. Apart from deep – fried wontons, we have other types of the dish using these dumplings such as wonton soup, steamed wontons. They are all flavorful and tasty. Once you’ve tasted them, you will never forget the food here, just like how much you love China. If you want to have more experiences in traveling in China and enjoying Chinese cuisine, don’t hesitate to have to look at my page about Chinese cuisines. My reviews would be good for you to accumulate more hands – on experiences when you are in China.